Centre Island – Together we will win it all
Centre Island is the fourth island of the district IJburg, established in the town of Amsterdam. With the new Island, Amsterdam wants to achieve new housing, because of the population growth in Amsterdam. One part of the housing will be designed by architectures; the other part will be self-create by inhabitants. The project is developed for and by the people of Amsterdam. On the Island will not be housing only. But also recreation facilities will be build.
The TV-programme Kassa lights up the thought about the recreation facilities. The recreation is designed to let people move more. Psychological factors as view and direction, like guidepost buttons on the ground, seems to help. In this case water will pull people to get outside and guidepost buttons are made to lead people on their way (Kassa, 18-02-2017). Unconsciousness and easiness are mid-terms and the conditions for the new city gardens or island designs.
New designs of city gardens are a reaction on the news; People sit too much. We sit on school, we sit when we watch television, we sit when we make home-work and we sit when we use our computers. We almost sit the whole day, getting tired from all the information we get to process. It makes us languid, is what experts like Hidde van der Ploeg a researcher of the VUmc says. Leefstijlmonitor concluded in 2016, that Dutch people sit an average of ten hours a day. It leads to higher chance of diabetes or even worse it can lead to death (Diabetesfonds, 11-07-2016).
Sitting is going hand in hand with bigger food packaging, a trend that we already spotted in America. It seems to take over the Europe as well. The programme Kassa reports numerals as one in eight children are overweight and one in three adults are overweight. In according with Ingrid Steenhuis (Kassa, 18-02-2017), bigger packaging affects the way we look at normal proportions. Mindless eating (because we eat big packages most of the time when we watch a movie, television or when we work on our computer) leads to disruption of our full feeling. We don’t think about what we eat and how much we eat so it is harder to stop. Because the bigger packaging becomes for us normal outside the door we take those formats as a standard inside our homes, instead of following governments institutions like het Voedingscentrum and their guidelines about proportion.
The Dutch society is unconscious about their habits. The Dutch society, also leans on the word easy and normal. The government has started a project after a big meeting with 150 important people from the food industry at the beginning of 2017. Their goal is to change the Dutch environment so people will get back on track and develop a healthy lifestyle. Basic products will be made attractive throughout campaigns. Schools, gas stations, supermarkets and other big organisations need to step in to help us, as well. Funny names are already introduced for the near time that will come. For example, “cumcumbertime” invented of state secretary Martijn van Dam (groenteenfruithuis.nl, 01-02-2017).
Like Beyonce and Arrow Benjamin sang in their song runnin’ (Lose it all):
“Together we will winn it all.”
Facing things together will be the first step. The next step will be more transperancy in the food industry. A lot of documentaries like Cowspiracy, One Green Planet, Forks Over Knives, Food Matters, etcetera will increase our knowledge about food. But it we don’t face it big time when we buy the products in the supermarket. The next step will be an acerbic transparency, according to Engelsman (het groente en fruit huis, 01-02-2017). It immediately made me think of a signal we saw in the Appearance Industry. Namely the Honest by webpage from Bruno Pieters, which shows you the whole background from the clothes you will buy on his website. He started it in 2013. Maybe we will see this in the near future of our food industry, not only if we buy our groceries online but also in funny ways combined on the food packages or throughout the route you need to follow in the shop. In this case we will face it all.
- NaughtyBoyVevo, Runnin’ (Lose It All) Beyoncé, Arrow Benjamin, 17-09-2015, geraadpleegd op 22-02-1027, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJSik6ejkr0
- Het kan wel; groener, eerlijker en leuker leven, website, 27-05-2014, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, https://www.hetkanwel.net/2014/05/27/10-documentaires-die-je-laten-nadenken-alles-dat-je-van-voedsel-en-gezondheid-weet/
- Diabetes Fonds, Werkend Nederland zit te veel, website: diabetesfonds, 11-07-2017, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, https://www.diabetesfonds.nl/gezonder-leven/minder-zitten/nieuws/werkend-nederland-zit-te-veel
- Gemeente Amsterdam, Startvisie Centrumeiland, Kernteam Centrumeiland, GO Oost, Maart 2015, PDF, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, file:///Users/teddykuijs/Downloads/centrumeiland-startvisie17_maart-2015_kl.pdf
- Gemeente Amsterdam, website, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, https://www.amsterdam.nl/projecten/ijburg/centrumeiland/
- Kassa, 18-02-2017, website: Vara, Programma gemist, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, http://kassa.vara.nl/media/370135
- Kassa, 18-02-2017, website: Vara, Fragment, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, http://kassa.vara.nl/media/370133
- Groente en fruit huis, PPS Meer groente en fruit voor iedereen, website: groente en fruithuis, 01-02-2017, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, https://www.groentenfruithuis.nl/home/voeding-gezondheid/pps-meer-groente-fruit-voor-iedereen/2017/02/01/nationale-voedseltop-grote-kans-voor-de-tuinbouwsector
- Bruno Pieters, website: Honest by, since 2013, geraadpleegd op 22-02-2017, http://www.honestby.com/en/page/92/bruno-pieters.html