Getting Deeper in our own Reality
Augmented reality and virtual reality have made their entry. First, they got implemented in the game industry. Some golden oldies in which virtual reality and augmented reality technology are used are the virtual reality glasses, the google glasses (which completely flopped), and the game Pokémon Go (which was a big hype). Now, these techniques are moving cross-sectorial. New forms of virtual reality and augmented reality are created. These new forms are necessary to make a flawless implementation in these new sectors, appearance and health for example. It’s interesting to follow the development of these new technologies as they grow and, later, as their value decreases.
But first I want to give some new insides of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. Let me introduce you to …
Founder: Jake Rubin
(Axon VR, n.d.)
AxonVR is the first virtual reality system that allows you to use your entire body in a virtual simulation. The virtual reality system is unique. Because of the full body experience, you allow yourself to feel the simulation and move in the virtual landscape. The AxonVR consists of an exoskelet on that makes the connection between the real and the virtual world. This exoskeleton lets you feel the virtual objects and lets you move around in the virtual landscape. With the gloves and the body suit, you can feel the texture and temperature of objects, which is crucial in order to make the experience more tangible. To make the outfit complete, you wear VR glasses. This allows you to view the virtual world.
In this short movie you can see Jake Rubin the founder of AxonVR together with his co-founder. (Axon VR, n.d.)
The two gentlemen explain their thinking process when they created the Axon VR.
Augmented reality clothing
Founder: Kailu Guan, KG Projects
(Kailu Guan, n.d.)
In the fashion world, the story behind clothes is more important than the look of the full outfit. The most bizarre pieces combined with an engaging story can form the most attractive designs. Kailu Guan created fashion pieces combined with augmented reality. His story has finally been revealed. To do this, he let the materials and shapes he used and the extra layer he created with the augmented reality technology speak for him. “Without the augmented reality layer, parts of the story would be missing.” Kailu Guan told the online website ‘Dezeen’. This extra layer becomes visible when you use the digital platform ‘AR Fashion’ on your smartphone.
For more inspiration about designer Kailu Guan, go to Kailuguan’s website.
Innovator: Visible Body
(Oye Juanjo, n.d.)
In the virtual world, we are able to look at our body’s systems in 3D. For over 15 years, the company ‘Visible Body’ has been created anatomy apps to learn and share facts about the human body. In 2017, visible body made the human anatomy atlas which has been crowned with the gold digital health award. Human anatomy atlas is an app for smartphones, which can be used to discover 3D models of the male and female body. You can download the app by clicking on the link
The app is very useful to improve the knowledge of students. The app will also help healthcare professionals practice their knowledge about the human body. In other words, the human anatomy atlas app is a friendly way to discover ourselves without harming the bodies of animals, which we experiment on. The app creates makes our human bodies and our anatomy more transparent.
Virtual and augmented reality are techniques that we have started to use to discover new ways of experiencing new (futuristic) scenarios. A virtual world is like a dream. Everything is possible. We are able to reproduce everything. The best effects are created when the virtual world looks like the real one. Virtual and augmented reality are going to help us improve ourselves by giving knowledge and insight into (future) scenarios, so we can prepare for them. I think this new technology will be implemented in the military world as well. It could help us prepare for terrorism and even war. For the normal citizen, these techniques will be used to visualize new things in (smart) cities. Think of an extra layer of information or art which will only be visual through virtual reality platforms. It helps us come up with residential facilities that haven’t been established yet. Opinions mentioned above are already here and they have been created to give us more of an inside view of new innovations which we can criticize and, together with the developers, improve. In future scenarios, development will be taken over by the costumer, who will enter into a co-creation process with the producer.
- Axon VR. (n.d.). Virtual Reality you can feel. Retrieved May 12, 2017, from http://axonvr.com/
- Axon VR. (2016, April 19). How We Create VR You Can Feel. Retrieved May 19, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPDtXnE9crg
- Faulkner, J. (2016, December 08). Shack News. Retrieved April 23, 2017, from http://www.shacknews.com/article/98072/twitter-ex-ceo-invests-in-vr-start-up-looking-to-simulate-lifelike-touch-of-virtual-objects
- Howarth, D. (2016, September 09). Kailu Guan shows augmented reality apparel at New York Textile Month. Retrieved April 18, 2017, from https://www.dezeen.com/2016/09/09/kailu-guan-kg-projects-augmented-reality-clothing-graduate-fashion-design-parsons-new-york-textile-month/?li_source=LI&li_medium=rhs_block_1
- Oye Juanjo. (n.d.). GADGETSHOLOLENSMAGAZINEMEDICINAMICROSOFT (Video) Clases de medicina en realidad virtual con HoloLens. Retrieved May 19, 2017, from http://www.oyejuanjo.com/2015/07/video-clases-medicina-realidad-virtual-hololens.html
- Vanacker, L. (2017, May 06). Belg werkt bij Microsoft aan bril van de toekomst. Retrieved May 15, 2017, from http://www.tijd.be/dossier/techpioniers/Belg-werkt-bij-Microsoft-aan-bril-van-de-toekomst/9890524?ckc=1&ts=1498816453
- Visible Body. (n.d.). Visible Body. Retrieved April 23, 2017, from https://www.visiblebody.com/